Each weekday morning, 49ers.com reviews the most newsworthy and engaging content from around the web involving the 49ers and the NFL. We seek it out, so you don't have to.
Feedback in the comment section is HIGHLY encouraged. Enjoy.
1. Alex Smith Trade
Last year the 49ers traded quarterback Alex Smith to the Kansas City Chiefs for a second-round draft pick and a conditional pick, a move praised by many as a win for general manager Trent Baalke. But the dealing didn’t stop there. Baalke upheld his prowess for getting the most out of his trades, squeezing a total of five players in exchange for Smith. When it all shakes out, the bounty for trading Smith to the Chiefs is defensive end
2. Baalke on Moves
King asked Baalke about his feelings now that the cards on the Smith deal have played out. “Mixed emotions,” he said. “I have so much respect for Alex Smith and his family and great regard for him as a player. He’s the epitome of a good man and teammate and a good player. I know the Kansas City Chiefs staff, and they are thrilled to have him. We’ll see how it works out for us. It’s still early.”
3. Up in Arms
Baalke’s interest in long-armed players has been well documented. Though this draft class was deep, it didn’t quite have the arm-length Baalke was seeking. “I think it's an important trait. It's a trait that's hard to find," Baalke said. "If you look at this this year's measurements, you're not going to find many players in this year's draft that are 34-plus arm length regardless of position… it is a trait we certainly look at." Here’s a breakdown of the 49ers 2014 Draft class in arm length.
4. Graphic We Didn't Use But Is Too Cool To Waste
Here is an image that was created by our graphic design team for the homepage that we didn’t get the chance to use:
5. Around the League
- Jerry Rice Jr., recently spotted at the 49ers local pro day, has been invited to try out for the Baltimore Ravens during their rookie minicamp starting this Friday.
- The Cleveland Browns and cornerback Joe Haden have agreed to a five-year contract extension worth as much as $68 million, with $22 million guaranteed.
- Also in Cleveland, the Browns have released quarterback Vince Young. He was with the team for just two weeks.
- The Associated Press reported that the Jacksonville Jaguars have gotten rid of suspended wide receiver Justin Blackmon's locker. So who will get this newly opened locker space? No. 3 overall pick Blake Bortles.